Job Title: Database Engineer
Team of Engineers within Database Operations team with heavy focus on “Operations as Code” are in need a Level 2 Oracle Database Engineer.
The Engineer will be part of a Enterprise Database Operations team that has accountability for Incident Management, Problem Management, Database Performance Optimization, tuning, vulnerability management, patching, Audit remediation, Operational Risk reduction, Configuration and Drift Management, lifecycle management, operational automation (codify/automation BAU activities), Change planning and execution among others.
They will have ongoing partnership with multiple teams – L1/L2 Database Operations, L3 Database Engineering and Application (internal IT customers) teams. Should be comfortable in interactions with IT leadership and senior engineering teams – both internal and external (vendor).
- 3+ years of experience as Oracle Operations Engineer role; Performance tuning, troubleshooting and problem determination skills
- Exposure and working knowledge of AIX HACMP, Oracle Dataguard, UNIX environments including AIX and RHEL
- Excellent UNIX/Linux Shell scripting, database design, implementation skills
- Design and development skills – PL/SQL, T-SQL, Stored Procedures, Packages, Triggers
- Compliance and deep appreciation of Change Management discipline as it pertains to rolling out Changes in various environments
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment as a member of cross-functional teams in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Passionate about data and for delivering high-quality data solutions in an agile fashion
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills, coupled with a desire to take on responsibilities
- Experience writing good documentation – detailed design, functional specifications, or technical requirements
- Track record of being detailed oriented, self-starter and deliverables with minimal defects
- Must be solutions-oriented, a critical thinker and an excellent communicator – both written and verbal communication
- Must be able to communicate technically and non-technically, tailoring communication to audience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; Ability to quickly grasp complex concepts and learn new technologies
- Proficiency with Unix/Linux Shell scripting (Korn Shell (KSH), BASH, etc.) and experience with job scheduling systems
- Participate in on-call rotation as the Engineer is expected to provide 24/7 support in a team rotation basis
- Ability to streamline and organize documentation, share knowledge, ideas, and concepts with the team, collaborate and truly believe in the concept of teamwork
- Willingness to effectively manage multiple, competing, high-priority projects with varying deadlines and be able to work under pressure during production issues
Nice to have:
- Strong database development skills gained through hands on experience working with relational databases
- Coding experience in Python and/or Infrastructure as Code – Ansible, Terraform
- Experience working in Agile teams
- System Administration including AIX, RHEL internals
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, Engineering, or a related field preferred
- Prior experience and understanding of Operational Risk within the financial industry
Heitmeyer Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to minority status, gender, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.